Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Red wine slump


With the fall weather rapidly rearing it's chilly head, I have been feeling like settling in with a delicious glass of red wine.  To this end, I have been tasting a variety of new wines in the hopes of finding a treasure.  I guess they say you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince, and I have been doing a whole lot of frog kissing.  None of the wines have been "bad" per sé, just generally underwhelming.

We recently had a friend over for dinner, and I was very excited to bring out what I thought were going to be big guns:  2  well-reputed and popular reds.

Irony Cabernet Sauvignon

I found it a little ironic that this wine is so popular, and so talked about, and so very, very underwhelming in my glass.  It's a nice wine, well balanced and bearing the traditional Napa Valley dark fruit flavours, but for all the talk, and the $20 price point, I was just expecting a little more complexity.

Perrin Les Cornuds Vinsobres 2009

This is Rhone blend of Syrah and Grenache also lacked the complexity that I have so adored in other $15-ish  blends from this region in France.  This particular offering just fell a little flat when I was expecting it to impress.

Masi Campofiorin

This is the wine my guest brought, and it was far and away the most interesting and enjoyable wine of the evening.  It has a complex structure featuring strong yet smooth tannins and a spicy, full fruit flavour.  It made me think of spicy fruit crumble... quite delightful.

Until we drink again... cheers!

1 comment:

  1. The Masi Campofiorin is my hubby's favorite wine. I find it to be a bit too much. I went to get him a bottle at Christmas and the clerk suggested another wine that she referred to as a "baby amarone" and I liked it much better. Cannot remember the name now, I will get it to you.

    ReplyDelete