Thursday, April 26, 2012

It's not a word, but it's a fine wine






I find it very distressing while working my part time job at the LCBO to stock shelves with items I've not tasted.  I really dislike when my customers ask for my opinion on a wine, and I am only able to relay information I've read or learned from others.  For this reason (and being honest, a few other reasons as well) I try to taste as many of the offerings on the shelves as I can.  I am privy to many samples which helps build my portfolio, but I also venture to try new wines by bringing them home whenever I can.  This is exactly what I did recently when heading over to our friends' house for a mid-week business meeting/wine drinking party.

There are a few wines that have really piqued my interest lately based on what I've read and what customers and colleagues have said.  The two big ones are Apothic Red and Cupcake Red Velvet.  The darn Cupcake keeps selling out before I can get my hands on it, so you'll have to wait for a review on that one.  But here are my thoughts on the other.

Apothic Red, California, $16.00


This is a lovely blend of primarily Syrah, Zinfandel and Merlot, 3 grapes where I feel California wines shine.  If was big and full, with robust spicy notes and it's just slightly off-dry, making it a great match (in my opinion) for spicy sausage or steak with chimichurri sauce.  This wine had a distinct plum jammy flavour with a nice heavy mouth feel.  I really enjoyed it and especially liked that it was a departure from the traditional California Cabernet.  I am looking forward to enjoying this wine again soon when it warms up enough to BBQ a little more regularly.





Until we drink again,

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment