Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A change will do you good...

I have been having a hard time posting of late because I was keeping a secret.  It was hard to blog about one of my favourite subjects and keep my secret, so I stopped for a bit.  But due to some pretty big changes in my life, I don't have to keep my secret anymore.

I have recently started at job at the LCBO!!!

When I had my second baby I really wanted to be a stay at home mom, but it just wasn't in the cards for us.  I tried really hard to find a part time job that would lend to my household's finances and allow me to leave my full time job, but again, it wasn't meant to be.  Then, just as I'd essentially stopped the job search (and had returned to work full time at the end of my maternity leave), I stumbled upon an opening for a French speaking LCBO employee!  I have been hired at the largest store in town, with the largest, most beautiful Vintages section (I'll pause here to wipe the drool off my chin).

I'm actually getting paid to touch all those beautiful bottles, to learn about producers, and to recommend products to curious customers.  This is basically my Graceland.  I'm a happy camper.

I have been juggling my full time job with this new part time one, and my family... but no more.  My full time job is being moved to another city at the end of the summer, so as stressful as it is on our financial security, I am going to be able to be home with my kids and work in what is pretty much my dream job.

So... I have a lot of tasting notes to share and will do so right away.

I have been on a cooler kick lately.  I think it has to do with the warmer weather and the fact that I'm just not all that into cold wine as a stand alone beverage.  With all the uncertainty swirling around my head lately, and my general proximity to the booze, I have been consuming a fair bit more than normal lately.  I consider it job training, though, so no worries.  Here are my thoughts:


This was a delight to drink and I can't wait to go back for more.  4 330ml bottles retail for $9.95 and until the 18th you can earn 5 bonus airmiles, which I am using as my reason to stock up.  The clear beverage has a light and refreshing natural raspberry flavour, and it is not too sweet, at least on the scale of cooler sweetness.


Another winner.  This is the most authentic I think a bottled Margarita could be, far more tart than sweet.  I did find the liquid a little viscous and thus preferred it over ice.  4 400ml bottles usually retails for $10.95 and is currently on sale for $1 off.  Geesh, better add more of these to my shopping list.  I have enjoyed the cranberry-blueberry coolers but did find them a little too sweet, but I have a 4-pack of the new vodka blueberry coolers in my fridge tonight just waiting to be consumed during game seven.


I couldn't resist the electric yellow in the bottle and it tasted pretty much as I thought it would... like a sugar coated, carbonated banana popsicle.  I enjoyed it well enough, but don't think I can stand another sugar headache like that and will likely not be partaking again.  


Not. Good.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but all I can really convey is the blinding sugar content.  It claims to taste of orange, cranberry, peach and coconut.  I can not corroborate these allegations.  I suppose if you really enjoy brutally sweet, synthetic fruit-like flavours, this could be enjoyable.  I think there are still 4 of the original 6 in the back of my fridge if you'd like to find out.


I tend to avoid lemon-based coolers because I have found them to be way too sweet and to provide me with instant heartburn.  Smirnoff's Blueberry & Lemonade was a pleasant surprise, with no acid-related ill effects.  The light and relatively natural fruit flavours are quite refreshing and made me wish they came in quantities of more than 4.  I also sampled the cranberry lime flavour, and while it was only one ounce, was equally enjoyable.  


This isn't so much a cooler as a pre-mixed cocktail.  It tasted good, but not really like a mojito.  I would buy it again in the interest of not having to do all the muddling labour to make a real mojito, but would want to bump up the flavour a little with some fresh mint or a little real lime juice squeezed in.


Not my speed.  It was quite sweet and I think it might have been more palatable served over crushed ice.  I found the combination of the sugar and the lime to almost irritate my throat.  


Love these.  Pre-mixed and sold in 4 packs or individually.  Sometimes I just want a mixed drink, but I just don't have time to stop for booze AND mix, so this takes care of them both.  They taste exactly like I had mixed the drinks myself and are just SO convenient.

So there you have it.  It's not officially summer yet, and I have made some pretty good progress on the available coolers/pre-mixes.  I'm going to do my best to get through a few white wines over the coming week and do a little comparison.

Until we drink again, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment